The time has come to share some random facts about myself. I’m throwing literary depth out the window this week! [Where did it go?! Let me know if you find it! Literary depth to be continued later… sometime.] Since writing should be fun at least most of the time, this post is a sort of fun montage of me in 20-questions format. A little improvisation on the theme of life, shall we say?
Before you read this, go get yourself a cup of coffee. Or tea. Because
1. I have 6 years of experience as a barista.
Right now that is more experience than I have doing any other one thing. I still drink one or two cups of coffee every day – you could say I’m hooked. When I started my blog, I dreamed that I could design it so my readers would feel like they were settling into a good book at their favorite coffee house as they read. That’s some dream. My favorite summer coffee beverage: iced chai with espresso and soy milk.
2. I have curly hair.
But you won’t see it in its natural state unless you are my mom or my husband. I straighten it almost every day. This began in 8th grade, towards the end of a long run of trying to look like Mary Kate and/or Ashley Olsen.
3. My dream job has always been to teach piano.
And now that I’ve finished my degree, I get to live my dream! I have several students already and am acquiring more each semester. I was inspired by my high school piano teacher, Judy, who taught art at a community college during the day and piano at night. Her red walls were covered in O’Keefes.
4. I am an expert in making it through a music education degree.
The secret? Hard work, friends, prayer and mental health breaks. (A good combination to champion most of life’s obstacles.)
5. I am an introvert.
I am perfectly content to be by myself for long periods of time. This is most likely because I grew up an only child. BUT, I do love me a good evening with friends and family, catching up and chatting. Especially when there is food involved.
6. My celebrity look-a-like is Taylor Swift.
But no, I’m not related.
7. I love to take pictures!
8. What makes a house a home? Candles and cut flowers.
9. I could spend all day… Writing
10. My first plane ride was to New York City when I was 20 years old. I went with my college choir and we sang at Carnegie Hall. Yep! Pretty epic.
11. I’ve given up drinking milk. Milk gives me stomach aches and makes me stuffy.
12. I started believing in Jesus when I was 13. It was after a friend began taking me to her youth group and Christian concerts. I bought my own first Bible from Barnes and Noble.
13. Last December I married the man of my dreams!
And… after a generous friend and her genius mother taught me how, I made all the bouquets and boutonnieres for our wedding party, with some extra help from my mom, mother in law, and aunt the night of our rehearsal. In the process I discovered that I LOVE making bouquets. On a rainy day you might just find me perusing the floral department at Hobby Lobby…
14. My favorite meal to make lately…
Is grilled chicken with roasted asparagus and potatoes. I use lots of Trader Joe’s African Smoke spice on just about everything savory I make, including this meal. (I am a liberal user of spices.) If you’ve never tried it, I highly suggest you do. It is delicious!
15. After getting engaged, my now-hubby and I ran away to spend two nights snowed in at a monastery in Kansas.
We hung out with Brother Joe during the day and learned about how monks don’t speak to each other until after breakfast – after most of them have had their morning coffee. Good rule!
16. Favorite de-stresser: Taking a bath
17. My dream is to be a good adult with a child’s spirit, to laugh, to encourage others, and to bring people together
18. Guilty pleasure: McDonald’s fries
19. I wish I spent more time doing yoga.
20. Favorite verse:
“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” -Galatians 2:20
Is your tea still warm? Did you get some cream for your coffee? I hope you had a great experience today at the Parchment Cadenza cafe, come back soon!
I assume now you are feeling quite informed about me. Perhaps you will be inspired to do some creative free writing about some twenty things about yourself for fun. I do recommend it.
May your baristas treat you right and may your tips be ever generous,